Wednesday 23 November 2011

Windows 7 service has eaten half of my SSD drive

After a year with my lovely and powerful Windows 7 install, my 55G SSD drive started running out of disk space...

Browsing a little for solutions helped reclaiming some space:
  1. from shadow storage
  2. then restore points

But only after I have tried WinDirStat, I have managed to nail it.


The tool has highlighted that 50%! of the disk space has been allocated to: C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player\Art Cache\LocalMLS
which is managed by Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.

Cleaning that directory helped and I enjoy my reclaimed disk capacity again. I have also followed suite and disabled the service as others, from MS forum, have done.

Enjoy!

No comments: